4480 Fort Lincoln Road
Mandan, ND 58554
Rich in both early Native American and military history, Ft. Abraham Lincoln's visitor center and historic buildings feature exhibits and programs on the early occupation of the area. On-A-Slant Mandan Indian Village with its reconstructed earthlodges depicts the lyfestyle of the Mandan, who lived here from 1575 to 1781. In 1804, the Lewis and Clark Expedition camped nearby and noted their abandoned village in their journals. From 1872 until 1891, the military occupied this site, first under the command of George Armstrong Custer. The park features a modern campground, hiking and biking trails and shoreline fishing in the Heart and Missouri rivers. Guided tours are available of the cavalry and infantry posts and Indian village.
Map + Directions
7 miles south of Mandan on Highway 1806